There is not a page requirement or word limit; respond as fully as you feel able to. 3 examples probably sets you up for a 5 paragraph essay (including intro and conclusion) but this is not a requirement. (This essay should have an thesis to argue)
Selecting 2 topics from these 3.
1. How did ideas about citizenship and belonging change over the 20th century? Cite 3 examples of people or groups whose civic status changed between 1900 and 1980, and why.
2. Journalist Oriana Fallaci once said, “We are an age without leaders. We stopped having leaders at the end of the 20th century.”
Who do you think led the most important changes of the 20th century? Identify 3 significant events of the 20th century and who led them, and how. This could be a particular person or a group of people, even everyday people as we have discussed in class. There is no right or wrong way to answer this, but whatever you argue must be supported by evidence.
3.How has U.S. history been influenced by other parts of the world in the 20th century? Cite 3 examples or events in which the United States government or its people came into conflict or discussion with another country. How did these interactions influence American views of themselves and the world?
Please select examples from lectures and readings from following:
- Rebecca Edwards. New Spirits: Americans in the Gilded Age: 1865-1905. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Danielle McGuire. At the Dark End of the Street: Black Women, Rape, and Resistance – A New History of the Civil Rights Movement from Rosa Parks to the Rise of Black Power. New York: Random House, Inc, 2010.
- Chapter 3, 4
- Lectures: Kennedy years, early Civil Rights, foreign policy. Black Panthers and AIM, Youth cultures, Anti-war movement, Anti-Colonial movements worldwide, 1965 Immigration Act., Chicano/a movement, LGBTQ rights, Feminist movement(s): visions of gender and social change, De-Industrialization & Rise of New Right, Globalization, the U.S. and the World Economy.