Papper assignment | English homework help
Option #1: Quotation Activity – Gettysburg Address (from Connect – Power of Process Activity)
It is important to be able to effectively incorporate your sources through direct quotation. For this activity, you will use Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address to practice writing an essay while effectively incorporating quotations to help support your discussion.
For this activity you will write a persuasive essay and address the following points:
- What is a “proposition” in the sense that Lincoln uses it?
- What does it mean to “consecrate” a place?
- What is “hallowed” ground?
- The Gettysburg Address is short, but very famous. Why do you think Lincoln kept it so short?
- He was the President, he could have spoken longer, and most speakers that day in fact spoke much longer speeches. He wasn’t pressed for time. He had time to prepare. A long speech was expected of him.
- So, why did Lincoln do what he did? (Hint: Where was he speaking and why? How did his “rhetorical situation” influence him?)
- Do you see any correlations between Douglass’ work and this work? If so, how do you see this occurring in the text? Be sure to quote from Douglass if you see a correlation.
- Your written paper should be 2-3 pages in length not counting the required title and reference pages.
- You must accurately insert a quote in your analysis to provide in-text evidence from the address, and you must comment on the quote to demonstrate you are thinking in a critical manner.
- Your paper must be formatted according to CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.