Case Study: Roslyn, a six-year-old, is attending public school for the first time. Her parents brought her to the clinic and stated, “she appears to have pain in her legs and won’t participate in playtime.” The parents noticed recently Roslyn appears pale and acts weak. Roslyn is diagnosed with sickle cell anemia. After her parents and siblings undergo genetic testing, it is found that Roslyn is the only family member with the disease.
- What are the priority nursing interventions for Roslyn?
- What anticipatory guidance should the nurse provide Roslyn and her family regarding the diagnosis of sickle cell anemia and her attending school?
- How can the nurse support the child and family?
- What discharge instructions should the nurse provide to Roslyn and her parents?
- What, if any, activity restrictions will Roslyn have after discharge?