- Research Topic: HP2020 Paper: LGBTQIA Health
- Identify your target population (for instance, age or other demographic, aggregate population); this must be in your city or state. ( Laurel Maryland)
- Discuss population-based health education interventions for your target population that is aimed at reducing morbidity and mortality for the problem. Be sure to review the research literature and HP2020 for interventions.
- Identify how and what data for interventions are being tracked.
- In a four (8) page paper, address the following. Refer to the rubric for expanded details related to grading expectations.
- Identify the problem in the introduction section.
- Provide an overview of the problem in your state/national.
- Review of descriptive epidemiological and demographic data on mortality/morbidity and risk.
- HP2020: Present the goal, overview and objectives of Healthy People 2020 for the paper topic.
- Population level prevention and health promotion review. Describe population and/or primary health care focused interventions. Use of scholarly literature and HP2020 is required. There should be direct correlation to evidence for all strategies.
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
- Review directions and rubric through carefully.
- Follow submission requirements.
- Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included. Organize the paper using the rubric sections and appropriate headings to match the sections.
- Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
- Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the current edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
- Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
- A minimum of three (3) scholarly literature references must be used. Not all references should be from scholarly web sites. You may use your textbook, but this will not count towards the three (3) scholarly literature references.
LGBTQIA Resource Center (Links to an external site.)
The LGBTQIA Resource Center is located in the Student Community Center on the first floor. 2020-2021 School Year Hours. We value the safety and health of our community members.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Health | Healthy People 2020 (Links to an external site.)
GoalImprove the health, safety, and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals.OverviewLGBT individuals encompass all races and ethnicities, religions, and social classes. Sexual orientation and gender identity questions are not asked on most national or State surveys, making it difficult to estimate the number of LGBT individuals and their health
Textbook: Curley, A.L. & Vitale, P.A. (2016). Population-Based Nursing: Concepts and Competencies for Advanced Practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
1. Problem is clearly stated.
2. General introduction to the problem supports its importance as a population health issue with data and general statement of scope of problem.
1. Provide background and significance of the problem
2. This includes risks and impact of disease.
3. Data: State and National: Incidence, prevalence, mortality, breakdown by gender/race/religion as appropriately related
1. Using descriptive epidemiology (provide description of term) analyze health problem
2. Include demographic and related epidemiological data
3. Include characteristics of at-risk population using HP2020 specified criteria
1. Identify HP2020 goals and objectives
2. Relate HP2020 goals and objectives to health concern topic
3. Identify guidelines and a screening method related to health concern
4. Review validity (predictive power) of screening tool method to include what population the tool is applicable to use with (for instance, adult, child, culture)
1. Investigate what is being done at the population health level related to prevention and health promotion for the health problem at the national and state level
2. Identify what and how outcomes are being tracked related to said interventions.
3. Utilize HP2020, CDC, state public health department, research, etc. as resources for interventions and data.