It has been reported that most healthcare facilities and plans employ quality improvement and risk managers to oversee risk and quality issues relating to physicians and support staff (Judson & Harrison, 2021). Quality improvement and risk managers may also assume responsibility for compliance with federal, state, and other healthcare regulations. A compliance plan is developed to help ensure that all government regulations are followed.
Considering the following section from the course scenario, you may agree with this perspective.
All of these ethical violations resulted in St. Michael’s Medical Center facing a massive lawsuit amounting to millions of dollars. The hospital has violated most of the regulatory compliance standards set by agencies such as the following:
- National Association of Healthcare Quality (NAHQ)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- The Joint Commission (TJC)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
Despite these agencies’ fines, the hospital continues to endanger patients with poor quality healthcare outcomes.
St. Michael’s Medical Center is now seeking a risk mitigation consultant to head the hospital as the new chief executive officer (CEO). You have been selected because of your risk management background. You realize that the hospital could have avoided all of these problems if it had complied with regulations, trained its staff, and enforced internal organizational policies. You are hired to put things in order and prevent future problems.
For this assignment, you will prepare a final presentation for the Board of Governors of St. Michael’s Medical Center. For this presentation, you will prepare an 8-slide PowerPoint addressing the following:
- What are some current risk areas in healthcare?
- How do these risk areas affect the quality of care in patients?
- How do patient safety issues influence organizational performance?
- How are ethical and legal issues related to patient safety and organizational outcomes?
- What are the organizational obligations for reporting risk?
- How do patient outcomes relate to risk management?
- What are the roles of external regulatory bodies—such as the OSHA, the NAHQ, TJC, and the CMS—and why are they significant to patient care and organizational performance?
- What quality management initiatives would you put in place to enhance St. Michael’s Medical Center’s image?
Judson, K., & Harrison, C. (2021). Law & ethics for health professions (9th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education.