Analysis Sheet One
“The Yellow Wallpaper”
- Why was the lady admitted to the home? What was it called then, and what is it called now?
- What profession did the Lady’s husband and brother share, and why was it important?
- Describe the place in which the lady was confined.
- Do you think the wallpaper, her husband, or both contribute to her insanity and why?
- What do you think she means by the statement, “I have finally gotten out!”?
“Young Goodman Brown”
- What might the pink ribbons stand for in Faith’s hair?
- What symbolic meaning do the forest; Faith; the town’s name, Salem; the road; and the staff in the story have?
- What do you think the name Young Goodman Brown means?
- Why does Brown want to go into the forest?
- How does his trip change his perception of the town and all the people in the town including his wife?